Saturday, July 26, 2014

Real women vs. clothes

So I should start with the basic disclaimer that I absolutely hate buying clothes. If it is supposed to be a girl trait I completely missed it. I love buying clothes for other people just not for myself. I recently had to face the hard facts that I needed to replace my jeans. I've had all three pairs of my jeans since before I met my husband. Our 4th anniversary is coming up in a few weeks so you can guess how long it's been since I bought jeans.

My mom decided to try and tackle this with me. We went to Kohls first because I had a gift card. None of the stupid jeans fit. We went through misses, petites, and the women's section to no avail. None of the pants came in sizes that fit. I could choose between pants that didn't fit my waist at all or pants that sort of fit my waist but were 3 inches too long. I'm actually short enough to need a "short" pair of jeans. Medium length jeans are always 2-3 inches too long. We tried Dillard's and had even less luck there. We tried one other store that I forget the name of. Finally we tried JC Penny. We had already looked through the misses and the women's sections.

Finally a store associate suggested that I try the Junior's department of all places because they were the only the section with short length jeans. So yes I'm a 24 year old who just bought 3 pairs of pants from the Junior's department at JC Penny. What makes it all the funnier I also bought a hoodie at the same mall. Granted the sleeves are a little short but overall the hoodie fits wonderfully. It's a children's medium. Then I got some summer sleep wear from Dillards. They were a range of mediums and smalls. In trying things on it vacillated wildly where a small was gigantic on me and other times when a medium was so small it wouldn't fit over my head.

We have a huge problem in America with women's body image. Take one look at our clothes and you can see why. Most of these clothes don't seem to be designed to actually be worn by real women. No I'm not the skinniest person you'll ever meet. But before you judge me or my weight consider how I got it. I didn't get it from being lazy for no reason. I got it because I became really sick. I'm a real woman. I have a chest first of all and a super tight fitting shirt will not fit. I have hips and I'm short. I don't have a perfectly flat tummy. Because of all of those things I am a real woman. I want clothes made for a real woman not for some barbie doll who's six inches taller than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment